Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Update on the second brew

On January 2nd, the first day I figured Homebrew in Paradise would be open, I stopped in and got another carboy and airlock. As soon as I had them, I went back home to transfer the Southern Breakfast Stout. During transfer I took another gravity reading, and tasted the beer to assess for contamination. The original gravity of the beer was 1.040, and the hydrometer showed a gravity of 1.023 at transfer to secondary. Not much of a drop, so I'm taking that as a sign that something did indeed go wrong during my fumbled cleaning on New Year's Eve. I couldn't detect any significant off-flavors when I tasted the beer, but maybe it's too soon to tell about that. I do know that the beer didn't start bubbling with any renewed vigor after the transfer.

My plan at this point is to wait a few more days and then test the gravity and flavor again. If the flavor isn't horrible, but the gravity still hasn't dropped, I might try pitching more yeast. If the flavor is really messed up, maybe dumping it will be the best option. I'll have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment